“Still single, huh?”
By Michele Bender
WELL AT LEAST THIS CHICK HAS GOT MY BACK...LITTLE NON MORMONY, BUT HEY, IT WORKS...
If you’re still unhitched, you’ve probably got a few relatives (or a family tree full) who can’t stop poking into your love life—or lack thereof. There’s always a message from mom waiting for you after a date. Grandma Ann doesn’t waste a second before telling you how much she wishes you’d settle down. And Uncle Joe always asks, in front of a crowd, why you’re going solo to yet another family function. Their intentions are probably good—they just want you to find someone because they think pairing up is the only route to happiness. Of course, you know better, but here are a few comebacks (some serious, some silly) to stop them in their tracks.
Relative rant #1
“Am I ever going to get a grandchild?”
Quiet-them comeback
“Hmmm, better talk to my sister.”
—Matt Iseman, a comedian who appears on E! and Comedy Central
“You have a grandchild. You know Rover is yours to share.”
—Gilda Carle, Ph.D., relationship expert and author of Don’t Bet on the Prince! and How to Have the Man You Want by Betting on Yourself
Relative rant #2
“Such an attractive young person, but still no one special?”
Quiet-them comeback
“No one special, but a bunch of regulars!”
—Tammy Pescatelli, comedian from Last Comic Standing
“I figure it’d be selfish to limit myself to just one person.”
—Matt Iseman
Relative rant #3
“Well, your brother/sister didn’t get married till he/she was 37, so there’s still hope for you.”
Quiet-them comeback
“Well, you know how it is in our family, we always play ‘Can You Top This?’”
—Gilda Carle, Ph.D.
Relative rant #4
“I was married with two kids by your age.”
Quiet-them comeback
“Well according to the stats, everyone’s waiting a lot longer to get married. We want to make sure our marriages are fulfilling and really last.”
—Gilda Carle, Ph.D.
Relative rant #5
“I’m concerned that you’re still single. I just want to see you happy before I die.”
Quiet-them comeback
“Then, after my hot date last night, I guess this is goodbye.”
—Tammy Pescatelli
Relative rant #6
“Dear, is there something you want to tell me? Are you just not attracted to the opposite sex?”
Quiet-them comeback
“Oh, no. I am attracted to the opposite sex for sex, just not for marriage.”
—Tammy Pescatelli
Relative rant #7
“Why don’t you just settle down?”
Quiet-them comeback
“I don’t like to settle for anything.”
—Gilda Carle, Ph.D.
“And miss out on all the fun? I don’t think so.”
—Matt Iseman
Michele Bender, who also writes for Health, Redbook and Cosmopolitan, has a family tree full of nosy relatives.
My Blog List
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(414)
-
▼
January
(38)
- Joc,Welcome to EUROPE! At least I figure it´s a eu...
- Hi Jocy,Our Stake Conf is the second week in Janua...
- I have a question for everyone... what time of yea...
- Me again. No that´s not a big red snake around my ...
- Me, on a street, in the morning. Can you see the s...
- Streets in the center of Vienna.
- Sorry the pictures are so bad. Between the wind bl...
- Hotel Pics from trip to Vienna... The cozy little...
- WOW! Thanks for all those name suggestions. We may...
- oops here are some more I forgot:JudyRyanChristoph...
- Jeff got on my case for not listing some names so ...
- Marion,So I can´t promise anything (I have to cons...
- So I thought I´d get in on the fun. You´d think I´...
- What about Ant'ny (that's how NJ pronounces Anthon...
- I really must congratulate Bryan. All those long B...
- I believe the Nortons have given us all a task.I t...
- CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NORTONS!!!!!!!!!!!
- BIG NEWS! BIG NEWS! BIG NEWS! So the Nortons have ...
- Cool Bobby!Well, tomorrow I head off to Austria (V...
- As you may now, i coach a U14 girls team. Well I t...
- NBC CEO JEFF ZUCKER and Family Yesterday and today.
- Today is the start of the Sundance Film Festival. ...
- Happy Martin Luther King Day everyone!!!!keep on p...
- I just thought I´d bring you all up to date...I´ve...
- The party was a "screaming success!"That's what yo...
- HAPPY 6TH BIRTHDAY!!SHAWNNA AMBER NORMANDWish I wa...
- No title
- Happy Birthday Shawnna Amber Normand!!!! 6 Years O...
- “Still single, huh?”By Michele BenderWELL AT LEAST...
- Just a quick note to let everyone know that Marie ...
- WOW ABBY you look great all dressed up for your co...
- I should have posted these a while ago since they ...
- Great pictures Bob.Ok, so I was just going through...
- A wild gtoup over at the Ginn's to bring in the Ne...
- Christmas wit the Sisters 2006
- Happy New Year from Las Vegas!Me and the boys have...
- Thanks for the first post of 2007 Bobby. The pictu...
- Stacia, Landon and Milena Ginn ...
-
▼
January
(38)