Just went looking for Easter pictures to post and realized that I only had three, and they weren't really of Easter! I'll have to get some from my in-laws. Come to think of it, Patrice must have saved them to his laptop while we were there because I don't have pictures from Amsterdam either. I'll talk to him when he gets home and post later.
Amsterdam was fun. It's always nice to travel with Patrice when he's on business because he doesn't stress about the cost of things as much (because half of it is paid for already!) and when he's happy, we're all happy!!
We took a canal cruise, visited the Anne Frank house (Alienor, Perceval and I), had a Teppan Yaki dinner (the kids loved the chopsticks!), had lunch at Van Poort Cleves restaurant (home of Heineken beer and numbered steaks - Patrice's was 5,700,000 something), visited a working wind mill (did you know they served the purpose of emptying the city of water, from one canal to the next? - most of the country lies below sea level), stopped at the Corrie Ten Boom home in Haarlem (but couldn't wait around until the next tour), and visited a flower farm (saw fields of flowers but we were about a week too early to see the tulips as it's been a long winter). We had a nice time and it wasn't too far away, about 4-5 hours.
Oh, I almost forgot the best (and worst!) part of Amsterdam - the bicycles!!! They are everywhere!! And the style is pre-WWII (or looks like it to me) so they all look the same. Almost all are black. I don't know how anyone can tell it was their bike except the locks (and there are lots that aren't even locked up). You have to watch when crossing streets because you have to cross the bike lane first, then the main street, and sometimes another bike lane. They have their own signals too. You just really have to pay attention and keep the kids out of their way. They seem to have the right of way in most situations too and don't like to have to slow down for pedestrians in their way. Alienor couldn't get over (I can't either) seeing ladies in their 40s and 50s in dresses and high heels on bikes. She kept pointing out to me, 'look at her shoes'. The bikes look like they don't have gears but my father in law said it's the old system where you push backwards on the pedals quickly (as if braking) and it changes gears. I don't know but that's what he said. Not only do people ride bikes, but I saw child seats, rear-facing in front of the handle bars and forward facing behind the seat (and sometimes both on a bike at once!). There is also a bike that has a little wagon in front of the handle bars (we saw one with 3 little kids in it). I saw one lady with with two kids in seats and a stroller attached behind everything. The general population must have some rock solid calves!
That's my little travel log. Will post pictures soon.
Jocelyn
My Blog List
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(489)
-
▼
April
(40)
- Andy-Just kidding! But did you notice that your h...
- OOOPS! I thought the vibrant red color was one of ...
- There's nothing special going on here for us to ta...
- I went to Kaiserslautern last Saturday and spent t...
- I dont know how many of you have ever has a colono...
- Good morning to everyone. I hope everyone is doin...
- I lost whatever I had on here so if this is a repe...
- I lost whatever I had on here so if this is a repe...
- Well, Since dad put the pictures of the girls on h...
- Well here are some pics of the hillmans that they ...
- Just went looking for Easter pictures to post and ...
- Now we just need to see eggs from mathan, Bobby an...
- Here are our Easter pitures. We had the egg hunt...
- David and I are waiting for Easter pictures from e...
- Shan and ron brought dinner over and included 4 ea...
- Happy Easter! I pray for all of you on this day of...
- Happy Easter everyone!We just wanted to wish every...
- Jocy anytime is a good time to share. Dont wait ca...
- The first warm weekend we have experienced here in...
- Here's another Easter activity to do with the kids...
- I thought this was a cute activity to do with our ...
- I was all excited to share some of our travel log ...
- Sat 4-15-06 10 ammom called and wants to come home...
- Fri niteMom started the day feeling better and was...
- Hi allmom thanks everyone for the calls and concer...
- Lucky me...I got the opportunity to talk to mom to...
- hi all here is a note i sent to the bishop tonigh...
- still the same or worse for mom this am wed pray...
- been a rough day for mom. They cant determine what...
- Well just got home from the er mom had sever stoma...
- Easter came a little early for the Normand Clan. S...
- I don't have much to say, but it has been a while ...
- Well Nathan has to get a new (new used) car last w...
- The Normands new contact info: (630) 748-1124 Home...
- THE YEAR'S BEST [actual] HEADLINES OF 2004: Crack ...
- No title
- No title
- No title
- Just thought that I would give a brief update and ...
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRANDI!!We hope you have a fabulous...
-
▼
April
(40)