Monday, November 30, 2009

Ed Ginn Jr.

So we have been talking a lot about Family History in Gospel Doctrine lately and I guess it made me want to know more. I am requesting memories of our family.

Dad(Ed),
Can you blog us about an experience you had when you were living in Montana?

Cassy,
Can you blog us about an experience you had when you were living in New Mexico?

Mom(Marie),
Can you blog an experience about life growing up in Provo?


Just a quick story- 1 or 2 paragraphs. Thanks

Here is dads paragraph or two. _ thanks dad

ED GINN

I was born June 30, 1941 in the Deaconess Hospital in Bozeman, Gallatin County, Montana.

My father Edmund C. Ginn, Sr. and my mother Virginia Ruth Vance were married on August 25, 1939 in Bozeman Montana. My dad worked at a men’s dress store and my mom worked as an usher at the local movie theater. My dad loved my mom very much. So much in fact that he built her a home from the ground up pretty much by himself. I remember him telling me how in the middle of winter he dug the basement by hand. He would go down in the hole, fill a bucket and carry it up and out. During rain and snow he would work on it. One day after some rain water accumulated in the bottom and every time he would take a bucket up and out he would come back down and find more mud had filled in the place he had just dug out. He got so frustrated and cold that he finally sat down on the edge of the basement to be and cried. About that time his dad William (Will) came by with some hot coffee and to see how things were going. They had a chat and Will encouraged dad to keep working and said that that things would become better. Things did get better. The house he built in 1939 was beautiful then and is still in service today. Another time when dad was building the chimney to this house he was three-quarters done and he noticed that the chimney was a quarter inch off. So he took it all the way down to the ground and did it again perfectly. He put copper piping in the walls for steam heating. He was definitely a jack of all trades and master of most of them. He was always trying to learn about how things worked and more importantly how to improve them.

Meanwhile, mom was working at the theater and taking care of Jimmy Ginn my half brother from my dad’s first marriage and fixing up the house.

After I was born my mom delighted in pushing me in a carriage downtown. I am told I was a good child and happy. Mom told the story of once when she was diapering me she stuck me with the pin and I didn’t yell until she started to pull it up through the diaper on the way out. She and Ida Ginn didn’t get along too well cause Ida was always putting her down and telling her how to raise Jimmy and me but more about that some other time. Ida didn’t make any points when I was born either. On one of her first visits to hospital after I was born weighing only 4 pounds 6 ounces (very small for a full term baby in the 1940’s) she looked at me while my mom was in the room and said “He will never make it!” My mom and I showed Ida how mistaken she was. So there Ida!! Mother-in-Laws can be such a pain.

_________________________________________________________________
On a side note--- while I was doing some research I found this info on William Ginn's Grandpa William Ginn

William Ginn was said to have run off to America from N. Ireland in theearly 19th Century with a daughter of Lord and Lady Dobbs, who owned orat least were associated with the Castle Dunlee (Dunluce). The daughterwas said to have been childless. He remarried and the line descendedfrom the second wife who is unknown at this time. Vera Ginn visited Ireland in 1974 andcontacted Ginn Anscestors outside of Londonderry who has also heard thesame story about this long lost ancestor.


(So William Ginn cme to America had a son James Ginn who had a son William Ginn who had a Son Edmund Ginn Sr. who had a son Edmund Ginn Jr.)
________________________________________________________________

Mom and Cassy--waiting for your stories!

Followers

Blog Archive