Thursday, November 16, 2006

Georgia Day 2

We woke up, had the continental breakfast theat the Wingate hotel provided. At noon we went over to Darton college, took team and individual pictures. Then we trainied, the girls started off sluggish and slow. The girls were a little crabby and had a tough session. Thats what happens when they around each other for 24 hours. The end of the practice got better, they cleaned some stuff up and they began to really click again.

There were three Division 1 coaches there. They pretty much ignored the other team training and were salivating over our players. You know, winning is great, but what I truly feel our job is, is to get our players to the next level (NCAA Division 1). I will be more happy of all 9 sophomores end up going to another school to contine their education with soccer paying for it. A championship is secondary.

After training we came home for about 2 hours. I begn to pour...really poor...like sheets of water! It was just like i remembe carolina rain being at its worst! We had a banquet for all 8 teams. We marched in to a gymnasium as they announced each team, coach and player. We ate, there were some speakers and then we went to the hotel. We had some brief chalk talk. There girls left...I kept my Celtic Storm (Utah) Girls. The girls I have been coaching since they were 13. I sat them all down, thanked them and reminded them of all of the good and bad times that had gotten them to this point. Most of them were balling, but all of them were excited to have 4 more days to have me coach them. it was a great meeting!

Lastly Gary Pulham, his duaghter is on my team, she is one of them that I have coached since she was 13. Gary showed up around 11 and helped us do room checks. He stuck around until midninght and just chatted. he is like a second father to me. I love listening to him talk and be encouraging. He is a very humble and wonderful person. I am glad he is here to share this experience with his daughter and me.

There were nearly 25 parents/family memebers from Utah there and about the same from Iowa. It iw going to be a fun crowd today when we kick off against Laramie County Community College at 2pm.

Here is the tournament web site: http://njcaasoccer.darton.edu/score.php

Love ya!

Followers

Blog Archive