Friday, April 25, 2008

WOW! Have I already been in Utah for 10 Days? I am in Logan, safe, happy and challenged. The job I have is a tough one. Uniting an entire soccer community is not an easy task and will not likely happen in year one. However, the feedback I have received for what I have done so far and the excitement that was generated in the 1st coaches meeting was obvious and rewarding. I know this is where I am supposed to be right now. I know that I am in a position to truly help a part of Utah that could definitely use my passion and energy to develop players and the game of soccer itself. By nature, I am sure some people like me, don't like, are curious about me etc. I know I am going to step on some toes, but I hope to do it lightly and gracefully and with no permanent damage. In Council Bluffs, I had the success of the women's team that established credibility. Now here I am without a team trying to win people over with my managerial skills, coaching skills and educating skills. I am confident that I am prepared for the challenges ahead of me and believe that I can be a leader of great things for this community. I am going to have to work hard though.

I have not been able to find housing or rommates yet. I have had options, but nothing I want. I meet with some guys on Saturday and hope to fit in well with the scheme of their household. I am currently staying with the Olsen family. Their daughter was our leading goal scorer at IWCC and has earned a full ride to the University of Iowa. Her family has embraced me and truly made me feel like part of the family. I miss that family life...when I get home everyone is hanging out, doing homework joking around and making fun of one another. It is a real fun time. It will be a sad day when I have to leave the house. They are a blast to be around...and i fit right in...as they are pretty goofy like me.

I plan on going to the temple next week and enjoying the inside of the Logan temple as much as i do the exterior (I love the gray stone). It is nice to be in Utah. Eevne though I spent 4 of my 9 days of training, in the snow. Seriously today I trained from 3:30-7 and the snow was thick and full all the way up until 6:45 (about the time it was to leave the field).

I am well. I am happy. And I am reinvigorated! Oh one last thing; part of me coming here was to change the identity of the club and to restructure it. We finally decided on a club name...now, brief background...We are preaching long term development and not short term fix. So we decided on the club name: Infinity Soccer Club. Again, I steal from my California youth and will likely use the Infinity surfboards logo as a resource as we design or club logo.

Brinley Boo...it is always nice when what was taught and practiced in training appears in in a game. I am so proud of you and Alexa...you guys really took all the dribbling skills and drills that we practiced and used them in your games. What a rewarding video that was for me. This is why I do what I do...I love seeing kids catch fire with a ball at their feet. Thanks for the game when I was there Alexa and Brinley, you really made my trip to Denver more than worth it :)

Love you all!

Followers

Blog Archive