Monday, August 25, 2008




HI ALL!!

Well, I’ve ridden my bike for two weeks of M-W-F, just barely!! Last week, I experienced a number of ‘FIRSTS’ while riding. On Monday, I started the week off with my FIRST – FLAT TIRE! Fortunately for me, Heavenly Father had his arm around me, and it was a slow leak that happened during work, so when I went to get on the bike at 5:30pm, it was flat like a pancake. Called a couple of ‘friends’ but it was my ‘friend’ Nancy McKeegan who came to my rescue. The young guy in my office, Matt was able to get the tire off the bike (something I don’t know how to do yet – heehee!), I put it in Nancy’s trunk and we were off to BUY MY BIKES!! Bought a new tube and when they put it on the wheel, they ‘SLIMED’ the tube. They put this -neon lime-green slime-stuff in it that helps with small, slow leak-type punctures. I was surprised to find it was just a tiny thorn, smaller than one on a rose stem that had put a hole in the tube and let it go flat. The guy who fixed the tire said he would never go out riding without having his tires ‘SLIMED’ first.

On Wednesday, I experienced my FIRST – RIDING AT NIGHT! I rode the bike and joined Ed and Shan at the SJC Heritage Park for the Summer Concert Series (listened to the ‘Doo-Wah Riders’ Country Band). Sorry to say, Marie and Ron were both under the weather, but they promised to be among the throng next month. The concert went from 6 – 8, by the time we got packed up, I got my bike ready, used the ‘port-a-potty,’ it was 8:30pm before I got on my way and it was ‘DARK.’ I got to use the light on the front and a new red blinking-LED light on the back. It was kind of ‘spooky’ riding along the bike path at night, but the light really helped! I was surprised to find how many others were riding the path at that hour, but without any lights – geez!! I nearly ran into a couple who didn’t have lights on! Got home safe and sound, of course, the walk up my hill is a killer – day time or night time!!

I ended the week in a BIG WAY!! – On Friday, another FIRST – I FORGOT TO WEAR MY HELMET!! I overslept, got going late, so was speeding down Del Avion when I realized I could feel the wind in my hair – and why was that? Because I didn’t have the helmet on my head, but had left it on the kitchen table!! For just a split second I thought about going back and getting it, but the idea of walking up Dana Mesa to the house was an immediate turn off. Of course, had I been in the car, would have done a quick U-turn, zoomed up the hill and retrieved the helmet, but thinking better of it, I continued on my way – all the time praying the trip would be ‘uneventful’ and the missing helmet would not be needed. When I got to work, safely mind you, I called my neighbor, Tina and she was so kind to drop of the helmet on one of her errands – THANK YOU TINA!!

At the end of the day Friday, I made arrangements with Ed and Marie to stop at A’s Burgers for dinner. When trying to decide where to eat, Marie was so kind to make sure it was some place on my way home – THANKS MARIE!! A’s Burger’s is not too far from the office, so I pushed off from the office around 5:15pm. As I get close to the street corner on Forbes Rd by the car wash, I usually get up on the sidewalk and ride to the corner so I can push the button for the crosswalk. There’s a large groove where the road meets the driveway of the car wash. Everyday when I get close to that spot, I remind myself to take care because that would be a ‘dangerous’ place to get my wheel caught! As usual, I had that thought as I approached the driveway and sidewalk but for some reason I didn’t heed the ‘still small voice’ about taking care. I think I was ‘hot dogging’ – trying to show off a bit, because there were lots of cars and people around – when WHAM-BAM – THANK YOU MAAM!! – YOU WONDER WHAT HAPPENED?? WELL, THE WHEEL GOT CAUGHT IN THE GROOVE!! I thought I could muscle the bike out of the groove and onto the sidewalk, but that didn’t work. Within a couple of seconds, I had fallen to the ground, slid across the sidewalk on my hands, and my legs had been scraped over the gears and chain. There were little Hispanic guys and ladies in their cars waiting for the light to turn green, yelling at me, and asking me if I was okay? Did I need help?

When something like that happens, the first thing most of us feel is just plain EMBARRASSED and I was no exception. I was so humiliated!! Then, I sort of rolled over and sat on the sidewalk for a minute as the cars were driving by – starting to take stock of my body, how I felt, what hurt, was there anything broken, could I walk. All of those thoughts go through your mind in a split second. I was able to get myself up, checked the bike, checked myself – yes, there was some blood dripping, and a couple of bad scrapes but nothing seemed to be broken. One of the only benefits of being ‘CHUBBY’ is you sort of ‘BOUNCE’ and bones don’t seem to get broken, like they might if I were on the thin side! But very quickly, I realized I’d put a couple of deep gashes in the back of my ankle, just above the tendon and there was blood dripping down onto my sock and it was really painful and difficult to walk. Also the chain was off the gears (another little item I don’t know how to fix), but I did remember what Matt did to put my wheel back on the bike, I did the same thing and was able to get the chain on – YEAH!! I got over to the signal light on the corner, but wondered how I was going to ride even the short distance to A’s Burgers. When the light changed I pushed off across the intersection, and to my amazement was glad to feel it didn’t really hurt to ride the bike, only walking really hurt. It was tough getting the bike down and up at the AMTRAK Station, but I made it, then the short distance to A’s Burgers. Ed and Marie had just gotten there – great timing!! I told them the story, showed them my ‘injuries’ – Marie helped wash me up in the bathroom. By then, the adrenalin had kicked in and I wasn’t hurting too bad, but by the time we finished our dinner, I was starting to hurt bad. I was so thankful Ed and Marie were with me – They were so kind and offered to give me a ride home – THANK YOU-THANK YOU-THANK YOU!! I’m sure it would have been a ROUGH AND HURTING ride home – but they just muscled the bike into the trunk and off we went. All the way home, Marie was giving great ‘BOY SCOUT FIRST AID TIPS’ – what to do when I got home!! I did all the things she said to do, and was feeling a little better.
AND THAT WAS MY FIRST ‘BICYCLING ACCIDENT.’

I spent most of Saturday with my leg up, going from putting ice on it, to heat and hobbling around. I made it to Church on Sunday, but everyone knew something wasn’t right when I hobbled up on the stage to sing with the Choir. I got lots of pats on the back from the Brothers, hugs and kind words from the Sisters (with a touch of amazement too that I was riding to work)!! I was going to leave right after Sacrament, but my friend, Christy said I had to be in RS because she was giving the lesson and needed to see my ‘HAPPY’ face in the crowd, so I stayed.

When I got home there was a message from Ed and Marie with an invite for dinner. They wanted to see how I was doing, what color were the injuries, so I drove over (doesn’t hurt to drive) and enjoyed a great meal (bbq chicken and corn muffins!) and fun company. They’re kind to listen to my stories, and share a few laughs with me. And there were brownies and ice cream for dessert –
YUMMMMY!!

So, needless to say, I’m taking this week off from riding my bike to recover from all the ‘FIRSTS’ from last week!!

I’ll let you all know when I’m 'BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN.'!!

Love you all,
Cassy

Followers

Blog Archive