Wednesday, May 03, 2006

For some reason I thought you were in YW, Cindi. As for keeping children reverent in Primary, Europe is a-whole-nother ball game. Orem, Utah it is NOT! I've discussed it with several Europeans and they seem to think that the culture in America makes it more possible for the children to be reverent. Plus the fact that they think most members come from families that came across the plains so 'mormonism' is in their blood. I try not to be too rude to them to their face, but I have decided that I wholely disagree. We are in the same church. We share the same gospel, have the same classes, run all the programs the same (well, almost!), should be having relatively the same FHE, scripture study, prayer, etc. There may be cultural differences, yes, but children in my primary should be able to be just as reverant as children in Orem. Are they? NO! But I still have it as a goal. But to take some of the blame off myself, I try to realize that half of our kids are not learning the gospel at home, are rarely expected to behave, do not have strong parents that are actually parenting, etc. So I try to teach them the best I can at church. Why don't you move up here, we could REALLY use you! For the little kids, I've tried to be much more animated and include them IN the sharing time by coordinating the lesson around some physical activity like Ring a round the Rosies or something like that. Oh, it also helps to have a man in primary. We just had a good family move in last fall and he is the stake clerk but volutarily serves as primary chorister as well. I'd be lost now without him because I used to have to do everything myself. Just having him there makes the children more respectful, especially the older kids (boys) so it has been nice.

So I am Primary president, which includes being the secretary, Faith in God leader, (doing sharing time every sunday because my counselors are jr. primary teacher and nursery leader) etc. and I also do the monthly branch newsletter w/calendar. Patrice was recently released as branch mission leader (BIG calling in our branch) to be called as Elders Quorum president. He has one counselor (newly reactivated) and a strong high priest leader. He also kind of serves as branch mission leader until they can find someone to fill that calling.

What are your callings? How do you like your ward? Just be thankful you all speak the same language! - minus you of course Marion (meaning they have a different language in NJ!)

Have a great day. The sun is actually shining here today and we spent all morning outside. It's supposed to be nice this week but crappy this weekend again. Oh, well.
Jocelyn

Followers

Blog Archive